tirsdag 3. januar 2012

Bind, bind, needle, needle.

Evening! 

 I went to see my vikingfriends today, long time no see. They have meetings at Visnes, Karmøy every Tuesday. Worth a visit if you're nearby and interested in history, arts and crafts :) This is their web-site; vikingklubben. Was many people there today, clearly I'm not the only student delaying my return. I learned a new needle-binding-technique today, easy but a bit boring and slow :p Here;  



I made it quite loose though, and dunno what to make of it yet. Maybe a hat. Haven't learned decreasing yet, so it can't be much else ;) 

Nålebinding; is a textile technique where the material is produced in a darning technique, with a coarse needle and length of plied yarn, and where the thread of the new stitch is passed arbitrarily through at least two unfinished thread loops of arbitrary size.


"The technique of working a fabric of interlocking loops with a needle and thread may be traced back as far as the neolithic period. From C4-C6 Egypt there are several examples of sandal socks worked in a form of naalbinding which resembles true knitting, and for this reason the technique is sometimes called 'single-needle knitting', to distinguish it from knitting on two needles.

From the Viking period there are two examples of naalbinding mittens from Iceland and some fragments from graves in Finland. There is also a panel of gold mesh worked in the technique in a C10 silk from Mammen, Denmark, and from further afield, a naalbinding cap from C9-C10 Antinoe, Egypt. From Novgorod, there are nine fragments of naalbinding but only one of these is C10, the rest being medieval. Most examples of the technique from the medieval period come from excavations in Scandinavia, Finland, Poland, Russia and from wealthy royal and ecclesiastical tombs scattered through Europe. A naalbinding sock was also found from late medieval Uppsala, Sweden. The technique is best know from mittens, and appears to have been climate-dependent as, apart from Northern Europe, it is also widely know in the mountain areas of Central Asia, where it is still as common as knitting is here." Regia.org [http://www.regia.org/naalbind.htm]

This is the style I usually use, which is quite different; 








I finished these today, want to try embroidering something on them tomorrow. First off, I've never mastered embroidering, second I've never even tried doing it on a needle-bound product. And these will be for sale. I've got a shop of my own btw! Don't know if anyone cares, but it's right here; https://epla.no/shops/rimfakse/ 

And I've got three products so far ;) Really considering staying here for a week more now, just working on my production. Need stuff to sell at markets this summer, at a christmas-market and in my store. Also considering opening a new one at Etsy, so people outside of Norway also can get some shopping done ;p

Also, the ring on my finger is one of the few things my grandmother (on my mother's side) left behind :) Except from her paintings that is. It's gold, and I don't usually wear gold, but I like it. It's been five years (I think), since she passed now. I miss her, like I miss the others. I'm so incredibly grateful for being a part of Rein's family, feels good having a new one ;)

There's so much I wanna do! Planning on applying for this shoemaker-job. Or more correctly; a job as a co-worker at a shoemaking-shop! It's a bit far away, but I'll try. Imagine all there is to learn! And leather is so interesting, I'd love to learn more about using it correctly, learn to sow leather and repair shoes ;) My chances are probably quite small, but I don't get anything if I don't try. That's for sure. I might also apply as a tourguide in Bergen, but they're probably looking for people who know more about the city's history, and most likely they want people who speak more than just norwegian and english.




Rein made me this needle in bone, and it's by far the best one I've had! He might make some more for the summer, if someone's interested in buying. I'll try to add some to my shop aswell.



















 I believe this is the best book if you want to learn; 


2 kommentarer:

  1. Flinke du e! Kati reise du tebars t bergen? :) klem.

    SvarSlett
  2. Hei kjære! Blir hvertfall over helgen, så får vi se ;) Kanskje litt lenger. Du e velkommen når som helst! Har bare masse jeg må jobbe med, travle tider ;)

    SvarSlett